We all want to head into our later years with a healthy and beautiful complexion, but without certain lifestyle measures and potentially specialist treatments, we’re unlikely to achieve this goal. Skin naturally sags and wrinkles as you age, so combating the signs of ageing can be pretty tricky. Luckily, there are several tried and tested tips that you can use in your daily life from today that will slow down the process of skin ageing, allowing you to stay beautifully young for years to come.
- Stay out of the sun. We’ve heard this one time and time again, but it doesn’t always seem to sink in. It can feel impossible to stay away from the sun during a hot Australian summer, but reducing your exposure to skin damage from the sun will do wonders for your complexion. The ultraviolet rays from the sun damage the fibres within your skin that maintain elasticity and firmness, so exposure can dramatically increase the speed that wrinkles develop. Wear a high SPF sunscreen, stay in the shade, and take sunbathing out of your vocabulary altogether.
- Quit Smoking. If you need another good reason to put the cigarettes away, take a look in the mirror. Smoking decreases the amount of blood flow to your face and releases dangerous chemicals that damage your skin, as well as the rest of your body. Smoking causes crows feet to develop earlier than usual, as well as drooping skin and deep lines around your mouth. Quit ASAP.
- Eat a healthy diet. Good nutrition can do amazing things for your skin. Feeding your body the correct nutrition will help your skin recover from damage and slow down the ageing process. Pick foods with high levels of antioxidants like fruits and vegetables, particularly veggies and citrus fruits that are packed with Vitamin C. Vitamins E, B, and A are all extremely important for skin health, too, so focus on eating the right things as much as possible.
- Get a good night’s sleep. The old term ‘beauty sleep’ exists for a reason. Maintaining good sleep habits can keep you looking younger for years to come. Your skin cells already have plenty to do during the day, from fighting against those harmful UV rays to rejuvenating and sloughing away old skin, so give yourself a chance to rest at night. Your stress hormones fall back down to resting levels while you sleep, allowing your cells to work on those all-important repairing processes.
- Give products a chance. Many of us spend money on new skin products and then ditch them within a couple weeks if we don’t see miraculous results straight away. It takes time to see noticeable changes in your skin, so give anti-ageing products a good few months before you decide whether they work for you or not.
- Talk to a specialist. If you have particular ageing areas on your face or blemishes that bother you, talk to the experts at Lasertech rather than giving up and surrendering to the ageing process. We have a range of awesome services that can completely rejuvenate your skin, from laser treatments to microdermabrasion. Come talk to us and you may be amazed by the results.